6.11.2006

shirt2skirt

this week, i took an idea from bust magazine (june/july, 2005, pg 21-22) to convert a button down hawaiian shirt into a skirt. i didn't use a hawaiian shirt, but instead, i practiced on another one of my husband's goodwill donations. it was super easy to do! you cut off the sleeves and then cut across the top off of the first button (i cut across the top of the second button because the shirt wasn't wide enough) leaving about half an inch to turn the waist. i didn't have to sew any darts (but you can if you need a better fit) and haven't turned/finished the waistline yet, but i like it and will probably go on and start wearing it... i'll probably make more of them to wear over the summer. i think that shirts that are slightly thicker work better because they are less clingy and drape better.
before:
after:
wardrobe refashion 06 post

4 comments:

Aparna Ayyar said...

This is absolutely the most darling skirt I have ever seen...I'm definitely going to try this ...will scan my wardrobe for an appropriate shirt.

merete said...

I love this idea, - would have to try it after finishing the jeans jacket!

ZantiMissKnit said...

I have an old Hawaiian shirt at home that I've been fixing to make into a skirt. I wasn't sure where the idea had come from until you mentioned seeing it in BUST magazine! Now I know!

Your's looks awesome. Mine needs more fabric because I'm a bit bigger; I may try some denim I have lying around.

cignoh said...

remember that you can cut the shirt off after the first button (this is what i did) if that helps. but yes, you could also add a strip of fabric on either side to expand it...